Microbiology Text results and LOINC

Home Forums Laboratory LOINC Lab LOINC Content Areas Microbiology Microbiology Text results and LOINC

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jburke
    Participant

Hello,

What would be your recommendation for LOINC mapping of a Microbiology result/ovservation where all the elements are returned in a text file instead of discrete result observations as LOINC provides? This is the case for all the Culture results in the Microbiology Module.

I suspect the answer might be to rebuild the Test with the indiviual required elements.

I also thought using a Service Comment LOINC might be a work around as well but probably not recommended.

Thank you,
    Jane Burke

Pam Banning
    Participant

Hi Jane,

If the information isn’t able to be portrayed in separate OBX records, and it is all microbiology content, you might want to consider :
    41852-5 Microorganism or agent identified:Prid:Pt:XXX:Nom:
    Would it cover all possible scenarios?

Have a very Happy Holiday season!

jburke
    Participant

Thank you, Pam, for this response.

So for any culture, I would use the specific LOINC order code for the order (asking the question) and the LOINC code 41852-5 for the non-discrete text result.

Example: for a Urine Culture, Order 630-4, Bacteria identified in urine by culture, then 41852-5 for the observation result.

For a misc culture I could use 41852-5 for both the order and the result.

Am I on the right track?

Thank you,
    Jane

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.