Regenstrief Job Opening – LOINC I Content Developer
LOINC® Content Developer
Regenstrief Institute, Inc. is seeking a LOINC Developer to join our creative, intellectually stimulating, open work environment that creates leading edge medical informatics applications. We are looking for a content developer to help us build the Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes () vocabulary standard. Today, LOINC is being used in nearly every corner of the planet, and is now a part of national health programs in many countries, including the U.S. In fact, there are tens (if not hundreds) of millions of patients with billions of medical test results stored in health records around the world that are coded with LOINC. In your role on the LOINC team you will be working with world-class scientists and building a key resource for the global healthcare community.
We want to hire a motivated, hard working individual who wants to accomplish great things. We want to hire someone who takes pride in their writing and who can summarize complex medical and scientific information into clear, concise, and relevant prose. We’re looking for someone who loves getting the details right the first time, and is excited about making a global impact through health information technology.
This job requires a bachelor’s or advanced degree and one year of field experience in a clinical or research domain or scientific writing. We know that you probably haven’t had a job quite like this before and that you can’t get a degree in LOINCing (yet). Regardless of your academic degree, we’re more interested in how you think than what you know. We’re looking for someone who loves learning new things. We use a combination of internally-developed tools, common office software, and other web applications like Basecamp, Highrise, and Atlassian’s Confluence wiki for getting stuff done. Being proficient with spreadsheets and databases like Microsoft Access would be a bonus.
If you were working for us, here are some of the things you would have done last week:
- Used our custom tailored online program to check in a few new term submissions from LOINC users around the world
- Conducted some background research by reviewing scientific literature, web searches, and dialogue with submitters
- Clarified the specifics of how a particular measurement is performed from a few people that had requested new LOINC terms
- Responded to a few questions about LOINC from the global LOINC community by email or on the LOINC forum
- Prepared reports of completed term requests after they had passed quality review and sent them back to the submitters
- Met with the software engineers to give feedback on the new submission processing tool
- Met with the LOINC faculty and other content developers to plot a course for better integrating our customer relationship management tool with our submission process
- Made some progress on longer term enhancement projects like adding example units of measure to quantitative terms that don’t currently have them
Here are some other things you might do:
- Update the LOINC Users’ Guide or other documentation like procedure pages on the wiki
- Help prepare for our LOINC Committee meetings
- Give input into the software tools like RELMA that we’re building to help people map their local test codes to LOINC
- Help out with updating our public facing web content or social media
What you need to be successful in this job
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- If eligible, national license certification in good standing in related field preferred
- One year of experience in a clinical or research domain or scientific writing
- Outstanding communication with many different stakeholders, e.g. managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to summarize complex medical and scientific information into clear, concise, and relevant prose
- Proficiency with spreadsheets and databases like Microsoft Access preferred
Why you’ll LOVE working for Regenstrief
At Regenstrief, you’ll be working on projects that improve the health of people both locally and around the globe. Your work will make a difference in millions of lives. You’ll be working with world-renown faculty and an exceptionally talented staff who are leaders in the field of medical informatics. We want you to make it even better.
As a leading research and innovation shop, you’ll be surrounded by exciting new projects and initiatives all the time. We recently moved into a brand new building located on IUPUI’s campus in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana and are closely affiliated with the IU School of Medicine, Roudebush VA Medical Center, and Eskenazi Health Center. Be sure to visit ourto see more of the amazing work underway to improve healthcare.
Working at Regenstrief comes with a lot of other great benefits too, including paid vacation, generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, and many others.
How to apply:
- What you love about health data standards
- Why you want to become a LOINCer
- What kinds of microorganisms can be differentiated on a KOH prep test and how is the test used for clinical diagnosis?
- What is Magnetic Resonance (MR) spectroscopy and how can it be used in diagnosis and treatment of brain, breast, and prostate cancers?
- How can gait speed be used as an indicator of health in older adults?
We look forward to hearing from you!