Last Updated: 2020-06-14 (3 months ago)
Use of the LOINC Database
The RELMA program uses a database that includes the LOINC table and other database tables. As indicated in the LOINC License, users may use the LOINC table by itself, but not use the other database tables from the RELMA database (except in conjunction with their use of the RELMA program) without prior written permission from Regenstrief Institute, Inc. The other tables in the RELMA database are in constant flux to support changes to the program, and we are not able to support migrations. We aim to provide exports of key content in a published format, such as the panels and forms file and other LOINC accessory files.
The stated goal of the Logical Observation Identifier Names and Codes (LOINC) is to create universal identifiers (names and codes) to be used in the context of existing HL7, ASTM E1238, and CEN TC251 observation report messages. The purpose of the Regenstrief LOINC Mapping Assistant program (RELMA) is to help the user associate, or map, their local terms to the universal LOINC codes.
Hardware and Software Requirements
Here are the hardware / software requirements that are needed to install and run RELMA:
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 or greater
Available disk space: 4GB minimum
Required memory: 1G RAM
Default location of user files: C:(users must have write access to this location)
Administrative access is required to install the program.
No special privileges are required to run the program.
The RELMA program can be downloaded from the LOINC website as part of the LOINC and RELMA Complete Download File or a separate, standalone setup file.
You should have at least 4 GB of free disk space on your system in order to install the complete package. (The large amount of disk space required is due to the size of the LOINC database.)
You must be logged into an account with Administrative privileges to successfully install RELMA. If you attempt to install the program from a limited account you may receive unexpected and intermittent errors.
WARNING: It is highly recommended that before every installation of the RELMA Program that you back-up your Local Master Observation File (LMOF) database. In a default installation, this file is typically located at:
The RELMA distribution files are provided in a single compressed ZIP file. After you have successfully downloaded either the LOINC and RELMA package or the RELMA file, you must unzip the files and run RelmaSetup_x.xx.exe to install the RELMA program.
When setup completes its work, you are given a short message that the program was installed successfully. Depending on your system configuration, you may be asked to restart your computer.
You may now begin running the RELMA program by going to Start, Programs, Regenstrief, RELMA, and then RELMA. Once you click on RELMA, it should launch and the program will begin to run.
- Enriched Linkages between LOINC terms and LOINC Parts
- Abbreviations and acronyms used in LOINC
- 1 – Introduction
- 2 – Major Parts of a LOINC term
- 3 – Special cases
- 4 – Clinical observations and measures
- 5 – Claims attachments
- 6 – Document Ontology
- 7 – Panels (Batteries)
- 8 – Evolving principles for naming collections
- 9 – Additional content in the LOINC distribution
- 10 – Standardized assessment measures
- 11 – Editorial policies and procedures
- 12 – Recommendations for best practices in using and mapping to LOINC
- A – LOINC Database Structure
- B – Classes
- C – Calculating Mod 10 Check Digits
- D – Procedure for Submitting Additions or Changes to LOINC
- E – Examples for LOINC Property Matching
- F – Example Acronyms used in LOINC
- G – LOINC Technical Briefs
- D-Dimer Revisions in LOINC
- Cockcroft-Gault formula, Schwartz equation
- Inducible Clindamycin Resistance in Staphylococcus and Streptococcus
- KIR Gene Family
- Oxygen Saturation and LOINC
- Nomenclature of Salmonella Species, Subspecies, and Serovars
- Segmented Neutrophils Versus Polymorphonuclear WBC
- Vitamin D
- Free Thyroxine Index Variants
- Streptococcus pneumoniae serotype nomenclature
- H – LOINC Committee
- LOINC/RSNA Radiology Playbook User Guide
- User Preferences
- Searching in RELMA
- Keyword Spell Check
- Term File Operations
- Import Local Terms
- Mapping Local Terms to LOINC
- Panels, Forms & Surveys
- HIPAA Claims Attachments
- Lab Auto Mapper
- Community Mapping Repository